August 15, 2021
Welland’s Pre-order Pickup Window
There are many reasons why the convenience of a pickup window has stood the test of time. In a rush? Kids in the car? Headed out to pick up a meal from one of our neighbours? Now you can easily grab something from our huge selection of products without even leaving the car.
1. Order and pay online at GardenCityCannabisCo.com
2. Ring the doorbell located beside to our Pickup Window
3. Receive your order (please have I.D. and credit card ready).
Did you know that (allegedly) the first Tim Hortons drive-thru came about largely by accident in 1985? The chain took over a Church's Fried Chicken outlet on Hamilton Mountain and the window was already there. Since then, it’s become a staple of the coffee shop business and our caffeine culture. Speaking of drive-thrus, we've dug up some surprisingly interesting pieces of information about the history of this helpful little window (According to The Globe & Mail):
1. McDonald's opened its first drive-thru in Sierra Vista, Ariz., in 1975, because soldiers from nearby Fort Huachuca were not allowed to get out of their cars while wearing army fatigues.
2. Robert L. Adams Mortuary in Compton, Calif., features drive-thru viewing of the dearly departed. "You can come by after work, you don't need to deal with parking, you can sign the book outside and the family knows that you paid your respects," the funeral home's Scott Adams told the Los Angeles Times recently. "It's a convenience thing." He's serious. Dead serious.
3. A Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas features the drive-thru Tunnel of Love marriage service. But it's not alone. You can also get hitched in The Fast Lane at Chapel 9. Some things that happen in Vegas really do need to stay in Vegas.
4. In 2009, Pennsylvania politician Kevin Murphy opened and operated a drive-thru window designed to speed constituent service at his district office.
5. In 2005, McDonald's started experimenting with drive-thru call centres. Workers took orders remotely from McDonald's outlets around the country, which were then sent back to the restaurants via the Internet, to be filled a few yards from where they were placed.
6. Wendy's opened its first Canadian store in 1975, complete with a pick-up window. The chain that Dave Thomas built opened its first U.S. drive-thru in 1971.
7. Country Style was the first doughnut chain in Canada to feature a drive-thru window, debuting in 1984 in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
8. Of Timmie's 3,169 Canadian locations, 1,942 feature a drive-thru window. And right now, there's a long line of cars at every one of them.
9. In 1998, a store called Love Bug and Just Lingerie in Thunder Bay, Ont., opened what was believed to be the world's first sex shop drive-thru. Its late-night pick-up window – complete with a billboard menu listing – offered edible massage oils, erotic videos and marital aids in the same way fast food joints sell burgers. Can I get that supersized, and in a combo?